Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » “ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode”
“ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #105656] Fri, 10 May 2002 16:08 Go to next message
funkygirl
Hello,

I performed Shutdown Immediate in Oracle 8I and now I am unable to mount the database.
Im getting the following message: ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode
I only have one database running on this machine. It was automatically created by Oracle installer upon installation of Oracle software. I can no longer connect via SQL * Plus,
Only through Server Manager (connect internal) Please advice on how to fix this. I am new at this so detailed advise is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kira
Re: “ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #105828 is a reply to message #105656] Mon, 15 July 2002 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAINGI CHARLES MUSAU
Hello,
I performed Shutdown Immediate in Oracle 8I and now I am unable to mount the database.
Im getting the following message: ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode
I only have one database running on this machine. It was automatically created by Oracle installer upon installation of Oracle software. I can no longer connect via SQL * Plus,
Only through Server Manager (connect internal) Please advice on how to fix this. I am new at this so detailed advise is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

MAINGI CHARLES
Re: “ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #105831 is a reply to message #105828] Mon, 15 July 2002 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
motanya
The above prob. is caused if you either attempt to mount two Oracle8i databases with the same database name or u issue the startup mount cmd. when the database is already mounted. restarting the machine will more often solve this prob.If ur setup does not allow u to shutdown ur machinethen try using a startup force...more options depend on ur OS..If the above is not enuff....write more info giving details of ur config. e.g. OS etc...
Re: “ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #106005 is a reply to message #105656] Fri, 13 September 2002 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Clodfelter
A database is started in EXCLUSIVE mode by default. Therefore, the
ORA-01102 error is misleading and may have occurred due to one of the
following reasons:

- there is still an "sgadef<sid>.dbf" file in the "ORACLE_HOME/dbs"
directory
- the processes for Oracle (pmon, smon, lgwr and dbwr) still exist
- shared memory segments and semaphores still exist even though the
database has been shutdown
- there is a "ORACLE_HOME/dbs/lk<sid>" file

The "lk<sid>" and "sgadef<sid>.dbf" files are used for locking shared memory.
It seems that even though no memory is allocated, Oracle thinks memory is
still locked. By removing the "sgadef" and "lk" files you remove any knowledge
oracle has of shared memory that is in use. Now the database can start.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
Verify that the database was shutdown cleanly by doing the following:

1. Verify that there is not a "sgadef<sid>.dbf" file in the directory
"ORACLE_HOME/dbs".

% ls $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<sid>.dbf

If this file does exist, remove it.

% rm $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<sid>.dbf

2. Verify that there are no background processes owned by "oracle"

% ps -ef | grep ora_ | grep $ORACLE_SID

If background processes exist, remove them by using the Unix
command "kill". For example:

% kill -9 <Process_ID_Number>

3. Verify that no shared memory segments and semaphores that are owned
by "oracle" still exist

% ipcs -b

If there are shared memory segments and semaphores owned by "oracle",
remove the shared memory segments

% ipcrm -m <Shared_Memory_ID_Number>

and remove the semaphores

% ipcrm -s <Semaphore_ID_Number>

NOTE: The example shown above assumes that you only have one
database on this machine. If you have more than one
database, you will need to shutdown all other databases
before proceeding with Step 4.

4. Verify that the "$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/lk<sid>" file does not exist

5. Startup the instance

good luck,
Re: “ORA-0102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #106584 is a reply to message #106005] Wed, 25 February 2004 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aashish Manocha
This works, generally, when database instance is forcefully aborted this file lk<sid> remains there, so just rename the file or remove the file and startup.

-Aashish Manocha
Re: “ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode” [message #107853 is a reply to message #105656] Sun, 05 December 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ferdinand Kombe
I am unable to starup my database
I received the following error message: cannot start dabase in Exclusive mode, ORA-01102
Re: "ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode" [message #432292 is a reply to message #107853] Mon, 23 November 2009 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anindya.Bhattacharjee
Hi friends,

I have came across same sort of error conditions.

But after killing all oracle related processes and removing semaphores and deleting the lk<SID> file from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
it really works.

while starting i have used a different INIT.ora file.
and used
sql> startup nomount;
sql>alter database mount;
sql>alter database open;

hope this will help.

Re: "ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode" [message #560552 is a reply to message #105656] Sat, 14 July 2012 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taboracle

shutdown abort;
startup nomount pfile='path\location';
alter database mount;
alter database open;

This worked for me!!!! the above is in case you don't find lk<db_name> in ?/rdbms/dbs
Re: "ORA-01102 Cannot mount database in Exclusive mode" [message #560562 is a reply to message #560552] Sat, 14 July 2012 09:17 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why, for your first post, did you choose to give an answer to a 10 years old topic and this adding NOTHING to the problem solution?

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Migration Creating the Migration Repository.
Next Topic: create/dro​p user/schem​a in another Oracle database through Oracle Apex Ver:3.2.1.​00.10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:23:08 CDT 2024