Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Workspace import (APEX 18.2)
Workspace import [message #679320] Fri, 21 February 2020 03:39 Go to next message
John Watson
I am trying to create a workspace which is a copy of an existing workspace. If it were in a different database, it would be easy: export the workspace and import it, either through the APEX GUI or by running the .sql file. But I have to do it within the same APEX instance, and the GUI refuses to import it because it already exists.

Is there a standard method for doing this? Or would it be OK to edit the export .sql file and replace all occurrences of the workspace_id (11 of them) with some other number? What about the workspace name?

Thank you for any insight.
Re: Workspace import [message #679321 is a reply to message #679320] Fri, 21 February 2020 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I tried a test, in a 19.1 instance:
Created a workspace, exported it.
Edited all occurrences (just 4) of the workspace_id to a new number, edited all occurrences of the workspace name to a new name.
Ran the import in the GUI.

It went further than before, it did start to do it, but failed with "Workspace did not create because it already exists."
So there must be something else in the export file that identifies it.
Re: Workspace import [message #679406 is a reply to message #679321] Thu, 27 February 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've never done that. However, if you look at ADD_WORKSPACE procedure's 3rd parameter, p_source_identifier which is

Quote:
a short identifier for the workspace used when synchronizing feedback between different instances.
So, if it is an identifier, maybe it also has to be unique. Try to change its value as well and then re-run import. Maybe it'll help.
Re: Workspace import [message #679432 is a reply to message #679406] Fri, 28 February 2020 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thank you for replying, it gets further. But not all the way! I then get errors regarding users not being unique. Now, we all know that users are unique within a workspace but apparently there is something in there that makes them unique in the instance as well.

I've given up on this, we'll clone the whole PDB to a new database instead. Once I get it upgraded to 19c I can do that within the CDB, but for now it will have to be a totally separate instance and database.

I have heard that Joel Kallman (you know him? The APEX God, and very responsive to direct contacts) has said that soon there will be a new export/import facility that should clear up a lot of the hassles.

Re: Workspace import [message #679439 is a reply to message #679432] Fri, 28 February 2020 13:08 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Teacher asked a student:
- What do you know about Aristotle?
- More or less everything he knows about me.
- I see ... which means nothing.

Similarly, Joel knows that much about me. I, on the other hand, know him somewhat better; attended some of his lessons on HrOUG conference 2 years ago.

Well, OK then, hopefully you'll be able to do export/import easier than you can now. Just be patient Smile
Previous Topic: In Reports , download and emails
Next Topic: Usind DECODE with multi-select fields
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:27:39 CDT 2024