Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters (11.2.0.3.0)
nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577441] Fri, 15 February 2013 11:41 Go to next message
piotrtal
hi,

maybe this is trivial problem but i can't find references between this two. the thing which confuse me is NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY on database and instance level.

it make sense for me set this parameter for session and for instance, but why for database? for database the most important params is NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET as i know (beside others) - but why NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY?

at the begining i thought that maybe if i don't have set NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY for instance they are set automatically from nls_database_parameters, but i checked this and it doesn't behave this way.

so, even if i have this two parameters for my instance set as null, after i run my instance this parameters is set to AMERICA_AMERICAN instead of POLISH_POLAND which i have on my database level.

i digged in references, but i couldn't find description for database level for this params.

thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2013 11:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577443 is a reply to message #577441] Fri, 15 February 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/NLS_LANG
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577444 is a reply to message #577443] Fri, 15 February 2013 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
but i didn't ask about NLS_LANG.
why after querying nls_database_parameters i can see NLS_LANGUAGES and NLS_TERITORY on database level. why it is set on database level for? i understand this values for instance and session level, but database?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2013 12:27]

Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577445 is a reply to message #577444] Fri, 15 February 2013 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
what is difference between instance & database?
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577446 is a reply to message #577441] Fri, 15 February 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
nls_database_parameters is nls_instance_parameters at time of CREATE DATABASE.

Regards
Michel
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577447 is a reply to message #577446] Fri, 15 February 2013 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 15 February 2013 19:56
nls_database_parameters is nls_instance_parameters at time of CREATE DATABASE.

Regards
Michel

thanks. but are they in some way usable in the future? because even if i don't have this parameters in init.ora and spfile.ora (when i start instance) my instance does'nt inherit this values from database level.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2013 13:22]

Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577448 is a reply to message #577447] Fri, 15 February 2013 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
because even if i don't have this parameters in init.ora and spfile.ora (when i start instance) my instance does'nt inherit this values from database level.

Is this a question or a statement?

Regards
Michel
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577449 is a reply to message #577448] Fri, 15 February 2013 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
Smile
does my instance should inherit this values from database in case init.ora/sprfile.ora this values do not exist?
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577451 is a reply to message #577449] Fri, 15 February 2013 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The default value for all parameters are described in Database Reference.

Regards
Michel
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577463 is a reply to message #577451] Sat, 16 February 2013 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
i finally found description:

The NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS view shows NLS settings for the database itself. These
represent the default values that will govern the instance, unless they are overridden by
initialization parameter settings.

but... it didn't work that way as i desrcribed in my first post. this parameters (LANGUAGE/TERITORY) are not inherited by instance when they are not set on instance level.
maybe i am doing something wrong. nevermind.
Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577464 is a reply to message #577463] Sat, 16 February 2013 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ You didn't read what I said
2/ You may have done something wrong but we can't know as you refuse to show us what you do and get.
3/ I think you misinterpret what you do

Regards
Michel

Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577465 is a reply to message #577464] Sat, 16 February 2013 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
ok, so lets do my logs from scratch:

i am 100% sure that my instance don't have NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY set in startup parameters file. in other words - this parameters are completely deleted from instance initialization file. so according to what they say about inheriting this parameters from what is stored on database level my nls_instance_parameters should show exacly the same values as nls_database_parameters.
but it does not work that way on my side. my database params are set to POLISH_POLAND but instance is set to AMERICAN_AMERICA. but as they say - they should be inherited from database. so why it didn't happen that way?
maybe some keys in my windows registry matters in this case (because this instance works on window2008).

SQL> select * from nls_database_parameters;

PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_LANGUAGE                   POLISH
NLS_TERRITORY                  POLAND

....rest is not important

SQL> select * from nls_instance_parameters;

PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA

.... rest is not important

Re: nls_database_parameters vs nls_instance_parameters [message #577466 is a reply to message #577465] Sat, 16 February 2013 07:25 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
i am 100% sure that my instance don't have NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERITORY set in startup parameters file. i

If you say so.

Quote:
so according to what they say about inheriting this parameters from what is stored on database level my nls_instance_parameters should show exacly the same values as nls_database_parameters.

Post a link to what you read this.

You still didn't read the link I posted you.

Quote:
maybe some keys in my windows registry matters in this case (because this instance works on window2008).

And you don't think it is important to verify before claiming there is a bug in the documentation?

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: PROFILE CREATION DATE
Next Topic: how is segment different from object?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:08:18 CDT 2024