Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms (Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi)
Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 08:16 Go to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
I have a RAC environment with 3 nodes and application using Oracle Forms Reports that access the database. Every day the application cause many locks on database when execute insert, update and delete. I dont undestand why so much locks. Are there a way to avoid this? Always I have to eliminate session causing locks.
Can someone help me?

Marcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549430 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You really need to identify what is being locked, by what code, for what reason. Which means looking in the code.
We can't really help you with that as we don't have the code.

If you find a particular bit of code that you think is an issue then you can certainly ask us about it, but as it stands your problem is too vague for us to help.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549431 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

Does application do uncommited DML (error of omission)?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549433 is a reply to message #549431] Fri, 30 March 2012 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It's forms so there's always the "someone makes a change and goes off for lunch without clicking on save" problem.
Nothing you can do about that other than tell off the users or kill the sessions.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549434 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
thanks for your help!
On the database side i can see only dml command like this:
INSERT INTO HUMASTER.TB_EVENTO_ANEXADO
(CD_ITEM,CD_EVENTO_ANEXADO,CD_EVENTO,DS_EVENTO_ANEXADO,DT_EVENTO,
HR_EVENTO,CD_TRAMITE,NU_DIAS_PRAZO,CD_SETOR_DESTINO,CD_GUIA,
NU_VOLUMES_ANDAMENTO,NU_ANEXOS_ANDAMENTO,NU_APENSOS_ANDAMENTO)
 VALUES (:1,:2,:3,:4,:5,:6,:7,:8,:9,:10,:11,:12,:13) 

Marcos Santos

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 10:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549437 is a reply to message #549434] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>On the database side i can see only dml command like this:
so, what exactly can we do for you?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549438 is a reply to message #549434] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Inserts don't generally cause locks, unless there insert triggers on the table.

How do you know you have a locking problem?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549439 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
every day I detect many locks on the database. I detect what session causing the lock and eliminate the session. Its necessary resolve this because I left many times monitoring and eliminate this lock session. Our RAC environment has a GRID Control. Via GRID control i can detect what is the database blocking. If there is a way to correct this via database i do. But, if not i pass to developer correct this.
Thanks,

Marcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549440 is a reply to message #549439] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>But, if not i pass to developer correct this.
so, what exactly can we do for you?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549441 is a reply to message #549439] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You're eliminating sessions just because you see locks in the GRID control?
Locks are a normal part of a forms app.
Are the users complaining about this issue?

If the app is locking more than it should then that is an issue for the developers to fix.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549442 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
I make a search on the internet and one tip is create index on the every foreng key envolving on transaction. Its seen that when form begin a transaction its generate a block on the table child if not exist index on the foreign key.
Thanks,

MArcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549443 is a reply to message #549441] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>INSERT INTO HUMASTER.TB_EVENTO_ANEXADO
No other session can see or care about uncommitted INSERT; so this has NOTHING to do with any locking issue

post SQL & results that you think shows locking issue
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549444 is a reply to message #549443] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The foreign key thing is only an issue when you come to delete parent records,
or update the foreign key column of a parent record (which you generally shouldn't be doing).

Don't guess what is causing the locking issue. Find out.
Which would involve seeing what users are doing when they get blocked and seeing what code they are trying to run.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549445 is a reply to message #549444] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>The foreign key thing is only an issue when you come to delete parent records,
>or update the foreign key column of a parent record (which you generally shouldn't be doing).

Does application have Foreign Key where no corresponding UNIQUE INDEX exists?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549446 is a reply to message #549445] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
?
The foreign key locking problem is where the columns on the child table in a foreign key relationship aren't indexed.
It's rare for such columns to require a unique index.
Not sure what your point is.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549447 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Thaks,
its happening now.

Username   Term   Kill String   Table Name                          Lock Held            Lock Requested          Seconds            
---------- ------ ------------- ----------------------------------- -------------------- -------------------- ----------
MARILENE   None   408,31142     HUMASTER.TB_GUIA                    Row Exclusive                                   1142            
                                HUMASTER.TB_AUDITORIA               Row Exclusive                                   1142
REL_RH     None   444,7994      SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                  66409
                                SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                  66409
                                SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                  66409
SYSTEM     None   162,30259     PUBLIC.USER_SUMMARY_JOINS           Share                                          88542
101078     None   233,62632     APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                    298
101313     None   210,48695     UNIFICADAS.DUVIDAS                  Exclusive                                          0
                                APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                      0
102025     None   212,58197     APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                     68

MArcos Santos

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 10:19] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549448 is a reply to message #549447] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The fact that you have locks doesn't mean you have a problem.
As I said before a forms app is supposed to lock things. It does so by design.
If there's no locks that means no one is using the system.

If you go around killing sessions just because they've got a lock you're going to annoy your users, and possibly get yourself sacked.

Again, what makes you think the locks are an actual problem?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549453 is a reply to message #549448] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>its happening now.
Please post the SQL that generated posted results
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549455 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
I take from metalink.

SET ECHO off 
REM NAME:   TFSLKILL.SQL 
REM USAGE:"@path/tfslkill" 
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
REM REQUIREMENTS: 
REM    SELECT on V$LOCK, V$SESSION, SYS.USER$, SYS.OBJ$ 
REM PURPOSE: 
REM    The report generated by this script gives information on sessions 
REM    which are holding locks and gives the information needed to kill 
REM    using the ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION command. 
REM Main text of script follows: 

set linesize 132 pagesize 66 
break on Kill on username on terminal 
column Kill heading 'Kill String' format a13 
column res heading 'Resource Type' format 999 
column id1 format 9999990 
column id2 format 9999990 
column lmode heading 'Lock Held' format a20 
column request heading 'Lock Requested' format a20 
column serial# format 99999 
column username  format a10  heading "Username" 
column terminal heading Term format a6 
column tab format a35 heading "Table Name" 
column owner format a9 
column Address format a18 
column ctime heading "Seconds"
select	nvl(S.USERNAME,'Internal') username, 
	nvl(S.TERMINAL,'None') terminal, 
	L.SID||','||S.SERIAL# Kill, 
	U1.NAME||'.'||substr(T1.NAME,1,20) tab, 
	decode(L.LMODE,1,'No Lock', 
		2,'Row Share', 
		3,'Row Exclusive', 
		4,'Share', 
		5,'Share Row Exclusive', 
		6,'Exclusive',null) lmode, 
	decode(L.REQUEST,1,'No Lock', 
		2,'Row Share', 
		3,'Row Exclusive', 
		4,'Share', 
		5,'Share Row Exclusive', 
		6,'Exclusive',null) request,
        l.ctime
from	V$LOCK L,  
	V$SESSION S, 
	SYS.USER$ U1, 
	SYS.OBJ$ T1 
where	L.SID = S.SID  
and	T1.OBJ# = decode(L.ID2,0,L.ID1,L.ID2)  
and	U1.USER# = T1.OWNER# 
and	S.TYPE != 'BACKGROUND' 
order by 1,2,5 
/ 

Marcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549456 is a reply to message #549455] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
if no other session want those rows, then the reported locks are 100% innocuous.

08:37:04 SQL> /

Username   Term   Kill String	Table Name			    Lock Held		 Lock Requested 	 Seconds
---------- ------ ------------- ----------------------------------- -------------------- -------------------- ----------
SYS	   pts/0  18,128	SYS.ORA$BASE			    Share					      33

08:37:05 SQL> 

above is from my single user laptop
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549457 is a reply to message #549455] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
So you've got a script that shows locks.

As I keep saying, just because you have locks, it doesn't mean you have a problem.
You are supposed to have locks in a forms app. There are meant to be there.

Why do you think you have a problem?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549458 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
I understand that lock is normal. But, many locks causing many wait dont permit normal use of database and I take many time eliminate session of databse.
I consider that the number of locks and waits on database are unacceptable. I have to correct this or pass to developer correct the application. If i can correct via database, its ok.
But if not, its ok. I pass to developer to correct this.
Regards,

Marcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549459 is a reply to message #549424] Fri, 30 March 2012 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Again...

Username   Term   Kill String   Table Name                          Lock Held            Lock Requested          Seconds            
REL_RH     None   176,40740     SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                     17            
                                SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                     16            
                                SYS._NEXT_OBJECT                    Row Exclusive                                     16            
SYSTEM     None   162,30259     PUBLIC.USER_SUMMARY_JOINS           Share                                          94899            
100902     None   229,24112     HUMASTER.TB_PROCESSO                Row Exclusive                                    239            
100961     None   312,14379     APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                    415            
101055     None   376,26317     APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                      9            
101931     None   348,34483     UNIFICADAS.HISTORICO_CLASSES        Exclusive                                       5343            
                                APADMIN.TB_INTEIRO_TEOR             Row Exclusive                                   5343    

Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549460 is a reply to message #549458] Fri, 30 March 2012 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
In my opinion, you are wasting time & effort playing whack-a-mole.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whac-A-Mole

What SQL is throwing which error code & message?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #549464 is a reply to message #549458] Fri, 30 March 2012 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
marcossantos wrote on Fri, 30 March 2012 17:33

I consider that the number of locks and waits on database are unacceptable. I have to correct this or pass to developer correct the application

As I said earlier:

If the app is locking more than it should then that is an issue for the developers to fix.

There is no mystical DB setting that will fix this. The only thing you can do is index the foreign keys if they aren't already, and that's only worth doing if that's what is causing the locks.

If you don't know what code is causing the locks, then someone, probably one of the developers, needs to work it out.
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #550473 is a reply to message #549424] Mon, 09 April 2012 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcossantos
Hi,
thanks for answer.
I find more this sugestion on metalink.

Quote:

Hello,

the answer to the original question is in the other answers, so I want to add a remark on something "slightly different".

JFr, you are correct: the column used as reference is indexed (by a unique index), but we are here in the "other direction"...

Example:
PARENT( parent_id, ... ), primary key (parent_id)
CHILD( child_id, parent_id, ...), primary key (child_id), foreign key (parent_id) references PARENT(parent_id)
There is no obligation to index "CHILD(parent_id)".

But it is advisable! If we issue "UPDATE parent SET parent_id = <new_value> WHERE ..." or "DELETE parent WHERE ...", then Oracle has to check that this would not cause "orphans" in the table CHILD. If the field is not indexed in CHILD, this implies a full table scan. What's more, a lock will prevent modifications of the table as long as the operation on "PARENT" is not completed... This can have a huge performance impact.

Only if we are sure that the keys of PARENT will never be modified or removed we can live without an index on CHILD(parent_id), but frankly, "if we are sure" is something that doesn't happen so often... I have seen cases where "impossible things had to be done exceptionally". On such days, if it take ages because we wanted to "spare" an index, ;-(

Best regards,

Bruno Vroman.

Marcos Santos
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #550538 is a reply to message #550473] Tue, 10 April 2012 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That's a description of the foreign key issue mentioned earlier.
Is that the cause of your problem?
Re: Many lock on Oracle Database using Oracle Forms [message #551075 is a reply to message #550538] Sun, 15 April 2012 08:28 Go to previous message
d_seng
I've recently faced this problem.

Oracle forms issues updates/deletes to the database using ROWID and not the primary key. In such a case, absence of indexes on FK columns on child tables will cause table locks on child tables.

We had created new child tables and not added indexes on them which caused lots of instances of the application hanging even when two different users were working on two different data sets. Thankfully it was caught during the test phase. Adding the indexes sorted out problems straight away.

I guess your best bet will be to index all FK columns and see if it helps.

Dhruva
Previous Topic: SGA memory filled
Next Topic: how to give full access to other schema
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:07:12 CDT 2024