Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace (Oracle 10.2.0.4 on HP-UX)
Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538552] Fri, 06 January 2012 23:27 Go to next message
himabija
I have one database which is recently upgraded from oracle 8.1.5 to oracle 10.2.0.4.The database is having around 300 tablespace and total size of the database is 1.5 TB.

The database was created in oracle 8i and all the teblespace were
DMT(Dictionary Managed Tablespace) .Usually after up gradation all the tablespace are in DMT mode. Now my requirement is to convert all the tablespace into LMT (Locally Managed Tablespace) so that I can AVAIL ALL THE FEATURES OF LMT.

This database is a mission critical database and very less downtime can be allowed.So I'm looking for a solution which takes very less time with less impact on performance. Please help me with
some good ideas.

Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538558 is a reply to message #538552] Sat, 07 January 2012 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I'd go to create new tablespaces (one by one) and move tables/indexes online -> (almost) no downtime.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 01:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538569 is a reply to message #538552] Sat, 07 January 2012 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Have you looked at using dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local to convert? Very quick. Though you won't get Automatic Segment Space Management or uniform extents.
Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538581 is a reply to message #538569] Sat, 07 January 2012 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himabija
John: Thanks for your input but as I mentioned we want to AVAIL ALL THE FEATURES OF LMT ,so this option will not work for me.

Michel: I have read many forums, they also suggest the same option provided by you.But I have few queries

Just after tables are moved to new tablespace all the index associated with it will become invalid .And I guess any query to the moved table with a where clause to the indexed column will fail until and unless associate index are rebuilt. Is there any option available to avoid this error during the rebuilt process of indexes?

We have few table/partition is having size of 30GB .I have never moved a huge table like this.Any idea how much time it might take to move ?(I know its quite difficult to say but I wanted to know the time taken from practical experience if any one had moved a huge table like this )

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 06:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538608 is a reply to message #538581] Sat, 07 January 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
And I guess any query to the moved table with a where clause to the indexed column will fail until and unless associate index are rebuilt. Is there any option available to avoid this error during the rebuilt process of indexes?

Right, use DBMS_REDEFINITION then but this requires more work.

Quote:
We have few table/partition is having size of 30GB .I have never moved a huge table like this.Any idea how much time it might take to move ?

No one can say, it depends on too many things, server, OS, io subsystem, cpu, concurrent workload...
You have to first make a benchmark on one smaller table (say 1GB).

Regards
Michel
Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538667 is a reply to message #538608] Sun, 08 January 2012 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himabija
It seems like lots of consideration and activities are involved in this process using DBMS_REDEFINITION . Anyway thanks a lot for your guidance.
Re: Convert dictionary managed tablespace to Locally managed tablespace [message #538668 is a reply to message #538667] Sun, 08 January 2012 09:07 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, it is a hard way but this is the only one that can give no to very small application downtime.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: view recompilation
Next Topic: Verify Tablespace space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 01:14:54 CDT 2024