Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Query regarding Multilingual Database (Oracle 10g R2 on Linux)
Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531427] Wed, 16 November 2011 01:47 Go to next message
orapratap
Hello,

For setting multilingual database which will have application data in Japanese I am preparing as follows

Please confirm my understanding

The database server is Linux and database is 10g (10.2.0.4)

For storing Japanese characters in the database I am creating a database with AL32UTF8 character set

1) Do I need to change any settings on the Linux server just for handling Japanese characters?

(In case it would have been windows database server would I need to change regional settings and/or any other OS settings to Japan etc?)

2) Assuming that a Japanese character will not fit in a single byte and default for semantic for char and varchar being byte, do
I need to change nls_length_sementic to char?

3) Apart from some more space requirement and performance impact on string functions will it cause any other adverse effect?

4) Are the points in question 3) above are true even in case I would select Japanese character set -say JA16SJIS, instead of super UTF compliant AL32UTF8?
What would be advantage of using AL32UTF8 over using Japanese specific character set?

5) Do I need to set nls_lang on the Linux server?

6) Users will be connecting to Linux server using putty or sqlplusw from windows
Which operations will need the client to set nls_lang? To what value?

7) Apart from setting nls_lang on the client (if needed) as in question 6), are any settings needed on the client for inserting and displaying Japanese characters?
e.g. regional setting, font setup, codepage setup

Thanks in advance
Pratap
Re: Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531429 is a reply to message #531427] Wed, 16 November 2011 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1) If you don't work locally on the database server but remotely, no. If you do, yes.
2) Yes
3) No (but as you need it the question is irrelevant)
4) Yes. Advantage of AL32UTF8: you can store other characters (like French ones) if one day you'll need to include other languages
5) See 1)
6) locally, see 5) remotely they need to have a windows that supports the characters and set NLS_LANG accordingly.
7) At Oracle side, no, NLS_LANG leads to an appropritae value to the other NLS parameters that are not explicitly set. At OS side, of course you have to set the parameters to fit the data you want to handle.

Regards
Michel
Re: Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531431 is a reply to message #531429] Wed, 16 November 2011 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orapratap
Hello Michel

Thanks for the quick reply

Questions 2,3,4 are clear now

I am still not clear about 1,5,6

Could you please suggest what changes I will need to make in following cases?

1) Suppose the Client is having OS settings pertaining to UK and I am inserting and selecting Japanese characters from sqlplusw on a windows XP machine

2) I am inserting and selecting Japanese characters by opening a putty session on linux server from a windows XP machine

3) Also for performing Export and Import from 1) Windows XP machine (UK OS settings) 2) Putty session what would be my NLS_LANG settings?

The above question comes from reading that 'Client and Databases character set May not match and client character shall match that of client OS.

I understand the above cases are among working remotely [question 1] as well working locally [2]

Regards,
Pratap
Re: Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531435 is a reply to message #531431] Wed, 16 November 2011 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
1) Suppose the Client is having OS settings pertaining to UK and I am inserting and selecting Japanese characters from sqlplusw on a windows XP machine

If his Windows is not configure to handle Japanese characters then he can't insert or select those characters.

Quote:
2) I am inserting and selecting Japanese characters by opening a putty session on linux server from a windows XP machine

In addition, the putty session must be able to handle the Japanese characters, choose an appropriate value in putty configuration/Window/Translation.

Quote:
3) Also for performing Export and Import from 1) Windows XP machine (UK OS settings) 2) Putty session what would be my NLS_LANG settings?

Use NLS_LANG that matches the database character set.

Regards
Michel
Re: Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531437 is a reply to message #531435] Wed, 16 November 2011 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orapratap
Hello Michel

you said
Quote:

If his Windows is not configure to handle Japanese characters then he can't insert or select those characters.

That's exactly what I am looking for
What to configure on windows for handling Japanese characters?
regional settings, font setup, code page or nls_lang?

Same is for point 2) in which I want to know what configuration is required in putty e.g. character class, font?

Point 3 is too confusing for me especially after reading the link
h t t p : / / download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14225/ch3globenv.htm#i1005949

you said
Quote:

Use NLS_LANG that matches the database character set

and Extract from theabove link is
Quote:

Should the NLS_LANG Setting Match the Database Character Set?
The NLS_LANG character set should reflect the setting of the operating system character set of the client. For example, if the database character set is AL32UTF8 and the client is running on a Windows operating system, then you should not set AL32UTF8 as the client character set in the NLS_LANG parameter because there are no UTF-8 WIN32 clients. Instead, the NLS_LANG setting should reflect the code page of the client. For example, on an English Windows client, the code page is 1252. An appropriate setting for NLS_LANG is AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

May be I am missing he context. Please suggest

Regards,
Pratap

P.S: Can't insert link.
I am getting an error 'You cannot use links until you have posted more than 5 messages'
Re: Query regarding Multilingual Database [message #531440 is a reply to message #531437] Wed, 16 November 2011 03:49 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
What to configure on windows for handling Japanese characters?
regional settings, font setup, code page

This is a Windows question you should post in a Windows forum, here, in an Oracle forum, I can just tell you this is not NLS_LANG that will make your OS understand Japanese characters. NLS_LANG must reflect your OS code page.

Quote:
Same is for point 2) in which I want to know what configuration is required in putty e.g. character class, font?

Didn't I answer to this? Have a look at the supported language in the box I mentionned, it will be obvious the one you have to use.

Point 3), documentation gives the general advice for client settings (and I said the same thing in the first paragraph of this post) but in case of export as you don't want to read the dump file just import it, use the character set of the database to avoid unexpected character conversions. It does not matter in this specific case that it does not match the OS character set as you will not read the file yourself.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: How to avoid the clear password in checkpoint file with oracle DBCA
Next Topic: [Upg 9208 - 1020] ORA-07217: sltln: environment variable cannot be evaluated.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:19:23 CDT 2024