Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Rac Standard/Enterprise
Oracle Rac Standard/Enterprise [message #516215] Fri, 15 July 2011 09:01 Go to next message
piotrtal
Does somebody know about 10g Oracle Standard Edition RAC feature and how it is charged.
I mean: is it free option for Standard Edition or payable?

I read something about Baby Rac on wiki and there was information that only with Engerprise Edition RAC is an extra-charge option for Standard Edition RAC is included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_RAC

Quote:
Oracle Corporation includes RAC with the Standard Edition of Oracle Database (aka Baby RAC), but makes it an extra-charge option for the Enterprise Edition

We do have corporate licencing model in our firm, so we can evaluate what version of Oracle we need to install (One, Standard or Enterprise) bu there is no matter what version we chosed, because our licencing model give us posibility to install the highest version. So usually we were chosing the Enterprise Editions.

But only limitation for us is an options. We can't have additional option like partitioning, RAC, Oracle Tuning Pack, etc... in order to have additional option we need approval from our finanacial management.

I have idea to change one of our installation from Enteprise Edition to Standard Edition in order to have RAC option for free.

Like i said. If we want to have RAC in our Enterprise Edition we need additional aproval of money expense - but this is not easy. But our licencing model give us posibility to install Standard Edition of Oracle instead or Enteprise Edition and have RAC option includ without additional expenses.

So what do you think about such solution?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2011 11:25] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Rac Standard/Enterprise [message #516244 is a reply to message #516215] Fri, 15 July 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Never mind the licence, you need to be absolutely sure of what you intend to achieve with RAC. A typical conversation with a client goes like this:

Client: should I RAC this database?
Me: of course you should!
Client: why?
Me: because I enjoy it.

That isn't good enough. You don't use RAC because you can, but because it delivers certain specific benefits in certain circumstances.

(But I do enjoy working it)
Re: Oracle Rac Standard/Enterprise [message #516248 is a reply to message #516244] Fri, 15 July 2011 13:14 Go to previous message
piotrtal
John you are right about this specific advantages which comes with RAC database.

My idea is that:

We don't have RAC in our environment. We have many installations, which includes two very important production systems (24/7) and several not such much important which can be shutdown for a hour or more without big oppositions from business - we just need to inform them about our maintanance.

But because neither me or my coleague from work, don't have big experience with RAC and in the future we would like to implement this solution to this important production systems, I thought we could RAC one of this less important database.
This gives us overview of RAC, moreover, we will gain experience with using it.

Yes i know that shouldn't RAC productions systems without experience, even if it is less important system, but do this thing with test environment, but my opinion is that only in production system we could learn some specific behaviour of RAC database, and risk is still small because even if something goes wrong we can unRAC this environment.

I know that this may be unprofesional but.. no risk no fun. If we don't try new things, we won't be know how they work.
Previous Topic: DUAL, FAST DUAL et. al.
Next Topic: OracleCSServcie
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:06:07 CDT 2024