Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Database Server Startup/Shutdown (Oracle 10g)
Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513880] Wed, 29 June 2011 18:51 Go to next message
chintu00
I am a developer and not a DBA, therefore the question is very basic.

I recently installed Oracle 10g on my windows Xp laptop.
It has become cosiderably slow since then. I want to start the database server only when I need it, and not everytime I start my laptop. Please let me know of a way to set this up. I looked around in OEM and did found a way.

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2011 18:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513881 is a reply to message #513880] Wed, 29 June 2011 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello - if you look at your Windows services, you'll find several called OracleSomething that are on automatic start, change them to manual.
Regards, John.
Re: Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513882 is a reply to message #513881] Wed, 29 June 2011 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintu00
I wonder if that is the best option available.

So if I have start the database do I go back to the services and start them manually(there are more than one) ? of just logging to one of the Oracle client will start the services, I guess not.
Re: Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513883 is a reply to message #513882] Wed, 29 June 2011 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>So if I have start the database do I go back to the services and start them manually(there are more than one) ?
Yes

>of just logging to one of the Oracle client will start the services, I guess not.
OS Service must be started before you can start DB or listener.
Re: Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513884 is a reply to message #513883] Wed, 29 June 2011 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintu00
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. But I was wondering if there was a cleaner way to do this.

Something in OEM, I saw a web interface showing-up after I installed the database. Just a thought for the gurus.

In the current solution I will have to remember all the services, I have manually shutdown and remember to turn it on before I am able to logon to any database client.

I was wondering if there was single interface where I will be able to turn it off(default mode). And when I need to login to my database I can turn something(it) on for just this one time, and next time when I shutdown and I bring-up my laptop the database is not running unless I turn it on again.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2011 20:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database Server Startup/Shutdown [message #513885 is a reply to message #513884] Wed, 29 June 2011 20:29 Go to previous message
John Watson
I use a simple shell script:
c:\users\john\home>
c:\users\john\home>type orastart.cmd
net start oracleoradb11g_home1tnslistener
net start oracleserviceorcl
set ORACLE_BASE=c:\app\john
set ORACLE_HOME=%ORACLE_BASE%\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1
set ORACLE_SID=orcl
set PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
sqlplus / as sysdba
c:\users\john\home>

It's up to you. I thought Windows people like to go click-click.
Previous Topic: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LRM AND ORA ERROR(2 Merged)
Next Topic: Starting up Database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 07:03:10 CDT 2024