Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Check for Oracle License (Oracle 11g Linux)
Check for Oracle License [message #506087] Fri, 06 May 2011 08:44 Go to next message
preet_kumar
I have installed Enterprise Edition of 11g.The default installation installs a lot of additional packs which needs a license.Is there any option so i can have a clean install of Enterprise Edition without any license trouble? Why do Oracle installs most of the packs default which are not licensed ?
Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506089 is a reply to message #506087] Fri, 06 May 2011 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have no trouble if you uncheck all what you didn't part for.
By the way, the default options are what you have paid for if you have paid for EE.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2011 08:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506095 is a reply to message #506087] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You should disable the packs, by default diagniostic and tuning are enabled:
orcl>  sho parameters pack

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
control_management_pack_access       string      DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING
orcl>

Set it to none, and you'll be OK.

d.
Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506097 is a reply to message #506095] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
I came to know that AWR,ADDM and ASH are not free with Enterprise edition and additional options one needs to pay for this.Will these be uninstalled if i remove Diagnostic and Tuning pack ?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2011 09:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506102 is a reply to message #506097] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar

select parameter,value from v$option order by parameter;

If the column Value shows TRUE does that mean these options are installed and i have to pay license free for those options ?

Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506105 is a reply to message #506097] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. As you say, you have to pay to use the ASH or AWR reports for instance. But the snapshots will still be collected becasuse they are also used for some features that you are allowed to use, such as the space advisor or the undo advisor. If you query dba_autotask_client, I think you'll find that at the moment all three clients are enabled - but if you set that parameter, the sql tuning client will be disabled. I think.

The only way I know for sure is to use Enterprise Manager. If you disable the packs with that parameter, then all the relevant options will disappear from OEM. But you can still get to some of them (such as AWR reports) from the command line.

It's horrible.
Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506118 is a reply to message #506105] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
Also i installed Standard Edition One,and i tried to create materialized view which works but Oracle says it is not licensed with SE1 then why they allow one to create the materialized view ? Oracle should stop this bad practice and either they disable the option or allow them but don't trick the customers.
Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506128 is a reply to message #506118] Fri, 06 May 2011 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The code is the same one for all editions and Oracle policy is to trust the customer.
It has always been like that, Oracle never installs some license server (like Sybase) or the like.
The only control is when you have a problem and want Oracle support then you have to pay for all options you used before getting this support.

Regards
Michel
Re: Check for Oracle License [message #506138 is a reply to message #506128] Fri, 06 May 2011 11:23 Go to previous message
ThomasG
And I really like it that way. Considering that 6 of the 8 times in the last six years a system was "completely down" in our company was due to technical problems in the respective licensing scheme.

I also like that you can prototype with all the features you like, and then decide if that particular feature is necessary for the production version or not. Opposed to other companies that try to sell you a features before you can test them.
Previous Topic: OFA and Raid
Next Topic: OMF online logfiles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 14:56:41 CDT 2024