Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Simulate session blocking problems (11.2.0.2 SE)
Simulate session blocking problems [message #503405] Fri, 15 April 2011 05:58 Go to next message
John Watson
Hi - I'm working on some code to detect blocking sessions. I can simulate contention for row locks easily, but I'd like to test the effect of (for example) sessions serializing on library cache locks or buffer busy waits.
Does anyone know how to cause some of these serialization problems for testing purposes?

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503409 is a reply to message #503405] Fri, 15 April 2011 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"library cache lock" and "buffer busy waits" are not locks but latches.
Latches have no queue so you cannot now who is waiting on them, you can just know who hold them with v$latchholder.

Regards
Michel
Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503410 is a reply to message #503409] Fri, 15 April 2011 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I'm looking at queries based on

select sid,blocking_session,event from v$session;

which I think tells me about all contention problems, whether latches or enqueues. Then depending on the event, I can join to whatever other view is appropriate (such as v$lock for a TX or TM enqueue event.)

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503412 is a reply to message #503410] Fri, 15 April 2011 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I'm not sure Oracle registers in your session who is holding the latch when you ask for it as this may change very quickly.
In addition as there is no queue on latch I don't know how this could be useful.

Regards
Michel
Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503418 is a reply to message #503412] Fri, 15 April 2011 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks for replying. I mentioned library cache lock because that was one problem we had recently, several secheduler jobs hanging for a long time:
  1  select u.machine,u.program,u.username,u.sid,u.blocking_session,u.event,u.seconds_in_wait from
  2  v$session u
  3* where u.wait_class <> 'Idle' and u.wait_time=0
192.168.56.101:1521/qs_prod> /

MACHINE              PROGRAM              USERNAME          SID BLOCKING_SESSION EVENT                          SECONDS_IN_WAIT
-------------------- -------------------- ---------- ---------- ---------------- ------------------------------ ---------------
pass06               oracle@pass06 (J002) SYS               197              288 library cache lock                        1876
pass06               oracle@pass06 (J003) SYS               476              288 library cache lock                        2178

I'd like to simulate this situation, and others, so that I can test an event handler for any type of block.

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503419 is a reply to message #503418] Fri, 15 April 2011 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
ind> select   event,total_waits from v$system_event 
  2  where   event  in('free  buffer waits','buffer busy waits');

EVENT                                                            TOTAL_WAITS
---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
buffer busy waits                                                       1861

1 row selected.
---Before inserting it was just 27 Only!
ind> select u.machine,u.program,u.username,u.sid,u.blocking_session,u.event,u.seconds_in_wait from
  2      v$session u
  3     where u.wait_class <> 'Idle' and u.wait_time=0
  4  /

MACHINE
----------------------------------------------------------------
PROGRAM
----------------------------------------------------------------
USERNAME                              SID BLOCKING_SESSION
------------------------------ ---------- ----------------
EVENT                                                            SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

sqlplusw.exe
APPO                              578
db file sequential read                                                        0

sqlplusw.exe
APPO                            603
db file scattered read                                                         0

SDB
ORACLE.EXE (LGWR)
log file parallel write                                                        0

SDB
ORACLE.EXE (DBW0)
db file parallel write                                                         0

If I read it proper ...buffer busy waits happen because two users want to change a block at the same time. Two users can change the same block, or even same row "at the same time" ie without committing, but that's different from the actual operation of modifying the block. The modification on the block in RAM, or computer memory, can only be done by one process at at time in order to avoid memory corruptions. Different users can modify different blocks at the same time but only one user or process can modify a the same block at a time.

(I am inserting > 10000 rows each into 1 table from different sessions)

Sriram

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2011 07:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503421 is a reply to message #503419] Fri, 15 April 2011 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Yes, of course, Sriram. But you see how hard it is to simulate the problem in a way that makes it detectable? I need to know in real time if a session is blocked, and as you have proved, usually a buffer busy wait (or a free buffer wait) doesn't last long enough. It would be different if we had EE and the management packs because then I could use ASH.

[edit: I shouldn't have mentioned "free buffer wait" above, because that isn't a contention issue, so I wouldn't expect anything in the blocking_session column]

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2011 07:27]

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503424 is a reply to message #503421] Fri, 15 April 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
I would like to paste it here
http://orainternals.wordpress.com/2009/06/02/library-cache-lock-and-library-cache-pin-waits/

Sriram
Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503426 is a reply to message #503424] Fri, 15 April 2011 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I do not agree with his following sentence:

Quote:
But 313 has already requested that library cache pin in mode 3. A queue is building up here.
Many processes can queue behind session 313

There is no queue with latch and no one can say if session 313 or 442 will take the latch first.
It is possible that session 313 waits indefinitively when others take the latch before it.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2011 07:57]

Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503434 is a reply to message #503426] Fri, 15 April 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks, that article gives nice examples of how to force contention problems. For example, I've set up this situation:
       SID BLOCKING_SESSION EVENT                          SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------- ---------------- ------------------------------ ---------------
        19              144 library cache lock                         307
       144              144 library cache pin                          434

which looks a bit odd because of 144 blocking itself as well as others, but that is exactly what is happening.
Re: Simulate session blocking problems [message #503435 is a reply to message #503434] Fri, 15 April 2011 09:58 Go to previous message
ramoradba
@ Michel,
I agree with you.
And need to learn more On this.
My next task would be On mutex Smile(ofcourse latches too)

Thank you
Sriram

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2011 09:58]

Previous Topic: Unable to delete archive files thro ASMCMD
Next Topic: job is killed ,but job'stotal_time is growing up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 00:31:59 CDT 2024