Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine
Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499773] Wed, 16 March 2011 03:26 Go to next message
Its_me_ved
can we have multiple database version running in a single machine with multiple instances provided there
are enough resources.Can we do in RAC only? Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Regards
Ved
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499774 is a reply to message #499773] Wed, 16 March 2011 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Multiple database versions: yes
Multiple instance versions: yes
Multiple instance versions for same database: no

RAC is only for multiple instances on same database.

Regards
Michel
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499778 is a reply to message #499774] Wed, 16 March 2011 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
Thanks for your quick reply.
Did you mean that there can be multiple database version running with multiple instance version on a single
server provided there is enough resources? Is there any documentation with any example to read for this scenario?
Can there be any impact for having multiple database version running with multiple instance version on same machine?

Regards
Ved
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499785 is a reply to message #499778] Wed, 16 March 2011 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Did you mean that there can be multiple database version running with multiple instance version on a single server provided there is enough resources?

This sentence is not clear and can be understood in different ways. I mean exactly what I said.

Regards
Michel
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499803 is a reply to message #499785] Wed, 16 March 2011 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
I meant can we have multiple database version with multiple instance running on same machine?
Is there any practical example I can look at in any documentation/link. Thanks!

Regards
Ved
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499805 is a reply to message #499803] Wed, 16 March 2011 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Can you clarify "multiple database version with multiple instance"
(Note: repeating the same sentence is not clayring it.)

Regards
Michel
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499857 is a reply to message #499805] Wed, 16 March 2011 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
Sorry for the delay in reply. Let me rephrase the statement again.
Can we have multiple database version with multiple instance per version (database) version in a machine?
Could you please provide any link to demonstrate it or any document link?
Regards
Ved
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499872 is a reply to message #499857] Wed, 16 March 2011 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Can we have multiple database version with multiple instance per version (database) version in a machine?

Still not more clear.
Give an example.

...Or explain how my previous answer does not answer this question:
Quote:
Multiple database versions: yes
Multiple instance versions: yes
Multiple instance versions for same database: no

Regards
Michel
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499963 is a reply to message #499872] Thu, 17 March 2011 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
scenario: On the same machine, I have two database, and two or more instance to run per oracle database version
Oracle database 10.2.0.1--- two or more instance
Oracle database 11.2.0.1-- two or more instance

Is it possible? Any document/link that talks about such scenario

Regards
Ved
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499965 is a reply to message #499963] Thu, 17 March 2011 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is possible is:
Oracle database 10.2.0.1--- two or more instance same version
Oracle database 11.2.0.1-- two or more instance same version

But why do you want to create 2 or more instances for the same database on the same server?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2011 00:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499966 is a reply to message #499965] Thu, 17 March 2011 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
Thanks for the reply. Two or more instance same version.When you said same version what does this mean? Does this mean same database version?

You asked "But why do you want to create 2 or more instances for the same database on the same server?"

One of my friend asked me about this and asked for any link to prove it. No idea when its required for two database version.
May be so that if something happens to the first instance then one have to take it down the other instance keep running.
Quote:

I found a link where it is written,
"In Oracle, unless you are using Real Application Clusters, you have one instance per database. You can have multiple databases per a single Oracle home, hence, multiple instances per single Oracle home."
Source: http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=1609&mode=threaded&pid=6519

I will ask in which case it's required. Any documentation or link to follow.

I am a newbie in database server adminstation area. Your suggesion would help !!

Regards
Ved

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2011 01:19]

Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499986 is a reply to message #499966] Thu, 17 March 2011 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Does this mean same database version?

Same Oracle binary version.

Your quote is quite clear:
In Oracle [...] you have one instance per database
If you are in RAC you can have 2 or more instances per database

This does not mean the instances are on the same server.
You can have multiple databases per a single Oracle home
You can have multiple instances per single Oracle home

This does not mean the instances are for the same database.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2011 02:12]

Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #499998 is a reply to message #499986] Thu, 17 March 2011 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
Thanks for the reply.

You said, "If you are in RAC you can have 2 or more instances per database.This does not mean the instances are on the same server."

So, In RAC we can have 2 or more instance per Oracle database version say 10g and 11g? on same server? ( I think I am wrong here!) ?

Another article I read is:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:529123700346381713

Regards
Ved

Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #500001 is a reply to message #499998] Thu, 17 March 2011 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
So, In RAC we can have 2 or more instance per Oracle database version say 10g and 11g? on same server? ( I think I am wrong here!) ?

No, all the instances must have the same version. I think I said it several times.

Quote:
Another article I read is:

And?

Regards
Michel
Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #500004 is a reply to message #500001] Thu, 17 March 2011 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its_me_ved
Quote:

You can have multiple databases per a single Oracle home
You can have multiple instances per single Oracle home

Can you please give me an example? Or any link where I can find this? I might mixed up things here!

Many thanks for the help! I think I am a bit confused with my understanding here.

What I understood is.. we can have different database in same server as below:
Oracle database 10.2.0.1--- two or more instance same version (does not necessarily on the same server)
(does not necessarily on the same server)

Is it wrong? Any link that I need to follow? It would of great help!

Regards
Ved

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2011 03:46]

Re: Multiple database with multiple instance on same machine [message #500006 is a reply to message #500004] Thu, 17 March 2011 03:53 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Oracle database 10.2.0.1--- two or more instance same version (does not necessarily on the same server)
(does not necessarily on the same server)

Is it wrong? Any link that I need to follow?

It is correct.

Quote:
Any link that I need to follow?

Oracle documentation, Database Concepts and RAC book (which I don't recall the name you can easily find it in dicomentation book list).

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: problem un updating jdk 6 on Oracle Application Server 10.1.3 on EBS 12.0.4
Next Topic: Alert email notifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 12:09:04 CDT 2024