Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » csm$errors (Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0 )
csm$errors [message #496607] Tue, 01 March 2011 05:29 Go to next message
ramoradba
In what cases,Does csm$errors Has an error log of type 'DATA_LOSS'?(err#=2)

For Ex:
I have this type of error while changing character set.
For dictionary object Source$.source showing this error.
Does it mean its unable to convert it or any other info behind that.
What would be the remedy for this!

Sriram
Re: csm$errors [message #496609 is a reply to message #496607] Tue, 01 March 2011 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I have this type of error while changing character set.

How?

Quote:
Does csm$errors Has an error log of type 'DATA_LOSS'?(err#=2)

Where?

Copy and paste what you did and got.

Regards
Michel
Re: csm$errors [message #496615 is a reply to message #496609] Tue, 01 March 2011 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
SQL> @ %oracle_home%/rdbms/admin/csalter.plb

4 rows created.

Function created.

Function created.

Procedure created.

This script will update the content of the Oracle Data Dictionary.
Please ensure you have a full backup before initiating this procedure.
Would you like to proceed (Y/N)?Y
old   6:     if (UPPER('&conf') <> 'Y') then
new   6:     if (UPPER('Y') <> 'Y') then ---------------Assume this is step 1
Checking data validility...                                                     
Exceptional data found in scanner result                                        

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Checking or Converting phrase did not finish successfully                       
No database (national) character set will be altered                            
CSALTER finished unsuccessfully.                                                

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

4 rows deleted.

Function dropped.

Function dropped.

Procedure dropped.

After step 1 this will internally calls a procedure "csm$main" there it checks for the errors.
As the VALUE FROM CSM$COLUMNS for ERRCNT is >0 it will return "Exceptional data found in scanner result"
So next it will check for the value TRTUE/FALSE in csm$parameters for the parameter name='CSALTER_FINISHED'

So i have verified it manually and I found that its not able to convert source$.source column of data type varchar2.

@ Michel Let me work on it and give you complete spooled file from sqlplus session.

Thank you

Sriram

Re: csm$errors [message #496623 is a reply to message #496615] Tue, 01 March 2011 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
So it means you cannot use CSALTER to go to your target character set.
Use CSSCAN to get the details.

Regards
Michel
Re: csm$errors [message #496630 is a reply to message #496623] Tue, 01 March 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
CSSCAN should be run before CSALTER
And it(the output was Successful).
But it has to populate the csm$tables. and as its a utility we can`t look into that internally! right?
Sriram
Re: csm$errors [message #496633 is a reply to message #496630] Tue, 01 March 2011 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Right!
From what to what are you trying to alter?

Regards
Michel
Re: csm$errors [message #496640 is a reply to message #496633] Tue, 01 March 2011 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
from WE8MSWIN1252 to WE8ISO8859P15

And the error is( to convert) with sys.source$.source which is a varchar2(4000) column.
Error type is "DATA_LOSS" err#=2

And my question is why its failed any idea? and In what different cases a migration of character set will fail ?
I will attach my file when ever i was at my testing machine(environment)

Regards
Sriram
Re: csm$errors [message #496641 is a reply to message #496640] Tue, 01 March 2011 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
And my question is why its failed any idea?

1/ Incorrect insertion of data.
2/ Some characters in WE8MSWIN1252 do not exist in WE8ISO8859P15

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2011 11:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: csm$errors [message #496643 is a reply to message #496641] Tue, 01 March 2011 12:12 Go to previous message
ramoradba
Quote:
The same binary code point value can be used to represent different characters between the different character sets. Most European character sets share liberal use of the 8-bit range to encode native characters, so it is very possible for a cell to be reported as convertible but for the wrong reasons. When you set the FROMCHAR parameter, the assumption is that all character data is encoded in that character set, but the Database Character Set Scanner may not be able to accurately determine its validity.

For example, this can occur when the Database Character Set Scanner is used with the FROMCHAR parameter set to WE8MSWIN1252. This single-byte character set encodes a character in every available code point so that no matter what data is being scanned, the scanner always identifies a data cell as being available in the source character set.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14225/ch12scanner.htm#i1007101

I should read it and I will post the results here soon

Thank you
Sriram
Previous Topic: AUTO SGA: Not free Error in trace file (merged)
Next Topic: Number of PGAs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 23:44:30 CDT 2024