Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 (oracle 10g.2 on windows XP)
Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488810] Tue, 11 January 2011 04:57 Go to next message
muktha_22
Hi all,

Need a clarification,
We all know that v$parameter shows the parameter files of current instance.
And v$parameter2 shows the parameter files of the whole Database.

Then when i fire the below command, it shows both of the above mentioned view is having same parameters.

select name from v$parameter
intersect
select name form v$parameter2;

Regards:
Muktha
Re: Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488813 is a reply to message #488810] Tue, 11 January 2011 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
V$PARAMETER2 displays information about the initialization parameters that are
currently in effect for the session, with each list parameter value appearing as a row in
the view. A new session inherits parameter values from the instance-wide values
displayed in the V$SYSTEM_PARAMETER2 view.
Presenting the list parameter values in this format enables you to quickly determine
the values for a list parameter. For example, if a parameter value is a, b, then the
V$PARAMETER view does not tell you if the parameter has two values (both a and b)
or one value

sriram
Re: Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488814 is a reply to message #488810] Tue, 11 January 2011 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
We all know that v$parameter shows the parameter files of current instance.
And v$parameter2 shows the parameter files of the whole Database.

I don't know that, what I know is what the documentation says:
Quote:
V$PARAMETER displays information about the initialization parameters that are currently in effect for the session.

Quote:
$PARAMETER2 displays information about the initialization parameters that are currently in effect for the session, with each list parameter value appearing as a row in the view.

Quote:
Then when i fire the below command, it shows both of the above mentioned view is having same parameters.

When I fire your command I just get an error: Twisted Evil
SQL> select name from v$parameter
  2  intersect
  3  select name form v$parameter2;
select name form v$parameter2
ERROR at line 3:
ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

Regards
Michel
Re: Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488815 is a reply to message #488810] Tue, 11 January 2011 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Unless you are using RAC instance and database are the same thing.
Re: Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488818 is a reply to message #488815] Tue, 11 January 2011 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muktha_22
Hi all,
My question was why both of the v$performance view is having same parameters.

Hi Cookiemonster,

Thanks a lot,

Regards:
Muktha..

Re: Difference b/w V$PARAMETER & V$PARAMETER2 [message #488819 is a reply to message #488818] Tue, 11 January 2011 05:23 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Because both contains: " information about the initialization parameters that are currently in effect for the session", so why should they be different when their purpose is to display the same information?

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: trm and trc file filling space freequently
Next Topic: installation issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 20:07:23 CDT 2024