Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Reporting schema suggestions
Reporting schema suggestions [message #485700] Thu, 09 December 2010 09:14 Go to next message
rolex.mp
I am in the process of designing a 11gR2 OLAP database on RHEL 5.

The requirement is that we would be receiving around 9G of data everyday from the OLTP database. This would involve around 10-15 tables and number of rows that we would be receiving per table would be around 5 million. These would be 99.9% inserts and the remaining would be updates. Deletes are very rare.

In this case I was thinking of using Streams or CDC for transferring data from OLTP to OLAP database. These data would be in a raw format which would need to be converted to reporting format, so I was thinking of using a staging area for ETL and then the final structure(presentation area) would use a dimensional model(star schema).

The tables would contain 2 years of data and most of the reports would look for a day's or month's worth of data. So I need to store almost 4-5TB of data in the database.
I was initially thinking of purging the streams destional tables on the reporting database every day and then using CTAS to populate the staging area and then use ETL mechanism to populate the presentation area.

Now there is a change in requirement and they want to do real time reporting which means that the delay in reports can be oply upto 2 mins. Now I'm stuck here as I am not sure whether the streams and the ETL overhead would allow this. Also the model that I have in mind seems like wouldn't be the appropriate one.

Any suggestions on what can be done to accommodate the real time reporting needs?
Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486116 is a reply to message #485700] Mon, 13 December 2010 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Materialized views?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2010 14:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486118 is a reply to message #486116] Mon, 13 December 2010 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
How? Is this another of your not feasible answer?
Still waiting you prove your previous "solution" works at http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/485553/102589/#msg_485553.

Regards
Michel
Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486119 is a reply to message #486118] Mon, 13 December 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Oracle® Database Advanced Replication

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2010 15:07] by Moderator

Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486123 is a reply to message #486119] Mon, 13 December 2010 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It is as useless as just post http://tahiti.oracle.com.
This does not answer the question of HOW does this answer the problem.
As in your previous answers where you just put a couple of words without showing or proving that it is useful or possible in any way.

Regards
Michel
Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486128 is a reply to message #486123] Mon, 13 December 2010 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
rolex.mp wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 10:14
Now there is a change in requirement and they want to do real time reporting which means that the delay in reports can be oply upto 2 mins. Now I'm stuck here as I am not sure whether the streams and the ETL overhead would allow this. Also the model that I have in mind seems like wouldn't be the appropriate one.

Any suggestions on what can be done to accommodate the real time reporting needs?

Suggestion is Materialized views and could also be Streams.
I will NOT copy and paste what can be found in the fine Oracle® manuals.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2010 23:30] by Moderator

Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486130 is a reply to message #486128] Mon, 13 December 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
How on earth did you get the idea that Michel is asking you to copy the docs?

He is asking you to explain how MV's are relevant to this particular problem (which is blatantly clear from his last message).
As for the further the suggestion of streams - You have actually read the original post haven't you?
Re: Reporting schema suggestions [message #486269 is a reply to message #486130] Tue, 14 December 2010 10:05 Go to previous message
LKBrwn_DBA
rolex.mp (SUMMARY)

The original requirement is:

1) Receive around 9G of data everyday
2) From 10-15 tables
3) 5 million rows
4) 99.9% inserts and the rest updates. Deletes are very rare.

Change in requirement:

Real time reporting with up to 2 mins. delay

In order to try and accomplish the "2 min" reporting requirement, My suggestion was to base the solution either on Materialized Views and/or Streams.

As per why MV's are relevant? Maybe you need to review again all the benefits stated in the fine Oracle® Database Advanced Replication manual.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2010 11:12] by Moderator

Previous Topic: how to get tables in oracle 10g database (merged)
Next Topic: I just want to understand more about pulling tablespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:09:46 CDT 2024