Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost!
I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485559] Wed, 08 December 2010 17:53 Go to next message
DataMouse
I am using Oracle 10g XE. I wanted to completely remove the sample HR database so that I could create my own database.. So I followed these instructions:

sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL> shutdown immediate;
oracle database closed
oracle database dismounted
oracle instance shutdown

SQL> startup restrict mount;

SQL> drop database;

Database dropped

SQL> exit

So my question now is, how do I recreate a new database? Also, I am so confused - I can't even load the Oracle 10g XE Home Page. Why not? Why does a database have to exist for me to be able to open up the database admin tool? That doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I broke everything, lol. Help! Thanks.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485562 is a reply to message #485559] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
HR is just a schema in the Database.
And you dropped the whole database.
You should have dropped just the schema.
A quick google search got me here
http://devtime.blogspot.com/2006/01/creating-oracle-xe-database-manually.html

Not sure if it is worth the pain to create db manually again.
I would just install XE again.

>>Why does a database have to exist for me to be able to open up the database admin tool? That doesn't make sense to me
It does in this case.
The interface to DB is stored inside DB and you dropped it.
Oracle XE is a little special.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485563 is a reply to message #485562] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
Thanks for your quick response, as this is frustrating and confusing. I really hope that it's simply because it's XE. If it was a regular copy of Oracle, would this still be the case?

The way I look at it is, XE is the database admin tool, and you should be able to have multiple databases. However, since Oracle 10g XEit's free, I know you can only have ONE database. So I was thinking, I'd drop the HR database and then recreate another database of my own. I guess I can't do this - or it doesn't sound like it.

Also, you said that I should've just dropped the schema, but then how do I create another database?

Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485565 is a reply to message #485563] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
Also, is it possible to get a copy of a REAL Oracle database management system for free, or at least at a very low price? It'll be used STRICTLY for educational purposes.

Thank you.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485566 is a reply to message #485563] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Also, you said that I should've just dropped the schema, but then how do I create another database?

reinstall XE
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485567 is a reply to message #485565] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
The link i posted talks about creating the database manually again.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485568 is a reply to message #485567] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
Okay thanks for your help. I decided to reinstall XE, as it took me two minutes.

Question: on a regular copy of Oracle 10g, or any NON-XE version, is creating a database this tedious? Isn't it just a few commands? Such as CREATE DATABASE? Am I missing something?

[Updated on: Wed, 08 December 2010 18:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485570 is a reply to message #485568] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Am I missing something?
YES.
You are missing a basic understand of Oracle RDBMS.
You would benefit from Reading The Fine Manual.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/toc.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 08 December 2010 18:47]

Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485571 is a reply to message #485570] Wed, 08 December 2010 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
BlackSwan wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 19:47
>Am I missing something?
YES.
You are missing a basic understand of Oracle RDBMS.
You would benefit from Reading The Fine Manual.

You're right, and thanks. I will read this and won't ask anymore questions for a while, lol.

Take care.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 December 2010 18:51]

Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485600 is a reply to message #485565] Thu, 09 December 2010 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
DataMouse wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 01:19
Also, is it possible to get a copy of a REAL Oracle database management system for free, or at least at a very low price? It'll be used STRICTLY for educational purposes.

Thank you.

You can get any Oracle edition for free for educational purpose.
I advise you to use Standard or Entreprise Edition if your purpose is to learn to administer an Oracle database.
XE is just for developer or small software with minimal administration skills.

Regards
Michel

Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485606 is a reply to message #485563] Thu, 09 December 2010 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
DataMouse wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 01:17

I wanted to completely remove the sample HR database so that I could create my own database.
(...)
Also, you said that I should've just dropped the schema, but then how do I create another database?

You didn't have to remove anything, but simply create another user. Many users happily coexist in the same Oracle database.

Anyway, people (who forgot about Oracle administration more than I'll ever know) already told you what to do. Definitely, you should know the enemy (Oracle) better; read documentation and - next time you're in doubt of what to do - ask first. Now you can only be sorry.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485717 is a reply to message #485600] Thu, 09 December 2010 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 01:26
DataMouse wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 01:19

Thank you.

You can get any Oracle edition for free for educational purpose.
I advise you to use Standard or Entreprise Edition if your purpose is to learn to administer an Oracle database.
XE is just for developer or small software with minimal administration skills.

Regards
Michel

THANK YOU. This is what I should have done in the first place. This helps a lot - I don't know why anyone would use Oracle XE for education purposes when they could use Oracle Standard or Enterprise. I will figure out how to get the free edition tonight.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485720 is a reply to message #485717] Thu, 09 December 2010 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Because Oracle XE has a smaller footprint and manages itself, so long as you don't drop it. It's useless for learning DBA skills but perfectly adequate for learning SQL and PL/SQL.
Re: I dropped the HR sample DB - now I'm lost! [message #485721 is a reply to message #485720] Thu, 09 December 2010 10:41 Go to previous message
DataMouse
I see. Now I get it.
Previous Topic: upgrading from Oracle 9i R1 to R2
Next Topic: please any one help on to find out active schemas in 9i oracle database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:58:12 CDT 2024