Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » need to load database files on other machine (windows 2003, 8.1.7)
need to load database files on other machine [message #485264] Tue, 07 December 2010 01:56 Go to next message
ateeqrahman786
Hi,

I am trying to upload a database backup on a machine. Since the structure of files is different from server, how can i start the database.

Do i need to create a new control file? If yes, how can i run the sql command "Alter database backup controlfile to trace" in nomount mode.

Thanks,
Re: need to load database files on other machine [message #485294 is a reply to message #485264] Tue, 07 December 2010 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you even bother to read the piece of documentation we referred to you in your previous post?
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76990/dupdb.htm#442304
It answers all your questions.
Re: need to load database files on other machine [message #486086 is a reply to message #485294] Mon, 13 December 2010 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
najjuizzhere
Dear Friend ,

Well in order to refresh the dump of the database to another server , the operating system should be same .
Things which you have do is.

cold copy / hot backup copy to tape or scp/rcp to the destination server where ever you found the space .
cp init$ORACLE_SID file to the destination server.
make directories for bdump udump cdump and change the db name if you required.
change the controlfile information and make changes accordingly to your mountpoints.

on production , give alter database backup controlfile to trace ;
in udump directory you will be given a trace .
modify the trace accordingly the file name and mountpoint which you have moved to destination .
recreate the controlfile.
Re: need to load database files on other machine [message #486099 is a reply to message #486086] Mon, 13 December 2010 10:32 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Well in order to refresh the dump of the database to another server , the operating system should be same

In depends on what you mean by "dump". An export dump is independent of the system.

Quote:
cold copy / hot backup copy to tape or scp/rcp to the destination server where ever you found the space .

RMAN and DUPLICATE command is a far better way.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: please any one help on to find out active schemas in 9i oracle database
Next Topic: I try To Alter SGA but it give ne error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 16:01:41 CDT 2024