Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » managing space (Oracle 10G , windows 2003)
managing space [message #480779] Wed, 27 October 2010 02:45 Go to next message
mamingui
Hi All,

In my drive E:\ I'll have a space issue soon because one file is taking all space. SYSTEM01.DBF size is around 25GB. I want to know if I delete some data in my database I'll gain space. If there is also another solution please tell me.

Regards.
Re: managing space [message #480784 is a reply to message #480779] Wed, 27 October 2010 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I know, deleting data won't free any space at the operating system level. At a time of inexpensive hard disks, perhaps you could afford a new, larger one?

OraFAQ's Search facility might be an interesting reading; take a look what others have said and done.

Just wondering: did you create your own objects in SYSTEM tablespace? If so, it was a bad idea.
Re: managing space [message #480786 is a reply to message #480784] Wed, 27 October 2010 03:06 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Littlefoot wrote on Wed, 27 October 2010 10:01
Just wondering: did you create your own objects in SYSTEM tablespace? If so, it was a bad idea.

Yep. One of the ways to make datafiles smaller again after deleting data is for example creating a new tablespace with new datafiles, move the object to that new tablespace and then delete the old tablespace and datafiles.

Of course that (and probably most other) techniques to free up disk space won't work if the objects are in the system tablespace.

The only option I can think of would be to create a completely new database with a correct tablespace layout, and then export/import the data into a correct user tablespace.

Previous Topic: Auditing lob column changes when working with dbms_lob
Next Topic: Killed sessions exists even after 2 days
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:11:42 CDT 2024