Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Instance name on imaged server (Oracle 8i Windows 2003)
Instance name on imaged server [message #476367] Wed, 22 September 2010 16:57 Go to next message
magg
We imaged production Oracle Server ( OS and Oracle and everything) to a backup server. I guess my question shall be how do we access the local instance via this backup server. When we log on to this backup server, we ran sqlplus and connected to the instance but it ended up to connect to production instance. Shall we stopped local Oracle services and change init.ora, tnsname, or listener files in order not conflict with production instance? Thank you.
Re: Instance name on imaged server [message #476368 is a reply to message #476367] Wed, 22 September 2010 17:37 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Again,
You need to provide more details.
>> we ran sqlplus and connected to the instance but it ended up to connect to production instance
Post what you did. Copy and paste the session. Explaining what you did helps us nothing.
To answer your question,
it depends on how you invoked sql*plus.
# someTnsentry is identified in your tnsnames.ora file.
# tnsnames.ora file will list different entries that would talk to # different databases.
# Listener.ora will name and list listeners "listening" at 
# thisServename, thisPort and this ORACLE_SID
sqlplus user/pass@someTnsentry

or

# this will connect to database identified by ORACLE_SID
export ORACLE_SID=someSid
sqlplus user/pass

You need to post how you invoke sql*plus, contents listener.ora and tnsnames.ora
Previous Topic: Find or set new Oracle Instance Name on backup server
Next Topic: ORA-27072: File I/O error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 16:50:55 CDT 2024