Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Find or set new Oracle Instance Name on backup server (Oracle 8i, Windows 2003 with SP2)
Find or set new Oracle Instance Name on backup server [message #476341] Wed, 22 September 2010 12:47 Go to next message
magg
We performed image copy of production Oracle server (OS and instances) to a backup server. After a few weeks, we try to restore a latest Oracle database backup from production server to backup server. As we know, Oracle instance must be unique on the network. Even we log on to backup server and bring up the instance, I think that still point to production instance since all init file, TNSNAMES.ora and listener file are still same. If we restore the database, we will end up bring down the production instance and restore on top of productions. Do you have guideline how to change instance name on backup server including TNSNAMES, sqlnet, listener files in order for us to restore Oracle database from production to backup server?

Thank you.
Re: Find or set new Oracle Instance Name on backup server [message #476344 is a reply to message #476341] Wed, 22 September 2010 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> As we know, Oracle instance must be unique on the network
Not true.
The instance should be unique in server.

>>We performed image copy of production Oracle server (OS and instances) to a backup server
An OS image copy?

>> Do you have guideline how to change instance name on backup server including TNSNAMES, sqlnet, listener files in order for us to restore Oracle database from production to backup server?

There seems to a little confusion here.
While the database can be restored anywhere/any server,
The listener.ora, sqlnet.ora etc should be re-pointed to the local server (where restoration is done).

You need to provide us more details.
We do RMAN duplication/restore (user managed hot backups in older versions) across many servers and never had this issue.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2010 12:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Find or set new Oracle Instance Name on backup server [message #476348 is a reply to message #476341] Wed, 22 September 2010 13:08 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I misunderstood the question on this.
>> Do you have guideline how to change instance name
Prior to 9i, that would involve a series of steps (no NID utility).

Here is link that talks about it.
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:995689164884328::::P11_QUESTION_ID:634671569269
Previous Topic: instance name
Next Topic: Instance name on imaged server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:33:47 CDT 2024