Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SHUTDOWN and STARTUP (11g Release 11.1.0.1 ; windows server 2008)
SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476122] Tue, 21 September 2010 08:50 Go to next message
unonumeric
Hello there
I have installed oracle 11g Release 11.1.0.1 on windows server 2008.I access this server from a client machine running on winXP through SQL PLUS. I wanted to shutdown and start DB server from this client machine. Accordingly i issued shutdown immediate command from SQLPLUS.
Now when i tried to start the DB with "STARTUP NOMOUNT" command i received error 12514. I understand this error means that the listener received a request to establish connections to a database but since DB services are not up and running, hence the error. So my first question is how do I resolve this error.
Continuing further, i tried to re-connect to the database as sys, and i received another error ORA-01041. So, my second question is why did i receive this error and again how can i resolve it.

Finally i wish to know (may be you can point me to relevant reference in Oracle documentation) how can i start and stop oracle from a client machine using SQL interface in CLI mode and windows environment and avoid this error.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476129 is a reply to message #476122] Tue, 21 September 2010 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It is a bad idea to start/stop database/instance from client side.
Always allow only and do it from server itself otherwise it is a hole in the security.

Regards
Michel
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476131 is a reply to message #476129] Tue, 21 September 2010 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unonumeric
Thanks for the response. I understand that, but in case I have to do it, what is the methodology? Actually, it is our development server and I just wanted to check it out (experimenting). Now to add to the earlier scenario, after failing to startup the DB from client machine I moved on to the server and tried to start the DB invoking SQLPLUS (on server) but again received the same error. Only way I could resolve it is to restart the server (bad idea) which I don't wish to do!
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476134 is a reply to message #476131] Tue, 21 September 2010 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Only way I could resolve it is to restart the server (bad idea) which I don't wish to do

No, connect to the server and execute sqlplus there.

Regards
Michel
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476141 is a reply to message #476131] Tue, 21 September 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
unonumeric wrote on Tue, 21 September 2010 11:15
after failing to startup the DB from client machine I moved on to the server and tried to start the DB invoking SQLPLUS (on server) but again received the same error.

Without a visual, two things I can think of are:

If you are on the server and it failed, then either you tried to connect with a connect string and the listener is down, or you tried without a connect string and your ORACLE_SID is not set.
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476146 is a reply to message #476129] Tue, 21 September 2010 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 21 September 2010 10:58
It is a bad idea to start/stop database/instance from client side.
Always allow only and do it from server itself otherwise it is a hole in the security.

Regards
Michel

Unless you install the EM dbconsole, then you can shutdown/startup the database (and listener) from your browser.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2010 12:37] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476147 is a reply to message #476146] Tue, 21 September 2010 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Which is a local access via the "agent".

Regards
Michel
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476151 is a reply to message #476147] Tue, 21 September 2010 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unonumeric
(Michel) After goofing up from client end, I tried to connect to DB by directly logging into server (Win 2008) and invoking Sqlplus. But when I tried to connect as sys I received ORA-12514 error. So I restarted the Sqlplus instance and thereafter when I tried to connect this time I got the second error that is ORA-1041.
(Joy) Nevertheless I will try to reconstruct the event tomorrow and try to get the visuals and more info. Further I will check out lsnrctl services and listener.log. If anything else you wish me to check, please let me know.
BTW (Michel), through EM dbconsole, I succeeded in the shutdown/startup of the database (and listener) from my browser. Finally I am sorry I didn't understand what do you mean by the "Which is a local access via the agent"?
Once again thanks a lot
Regards
Uno
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476152 is a reply to message #476151] Tue, 21 September 2010 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
when I tried to connect as sys I received ORA-12514 error

When you connect locally you have not to go through Net servives and not have to give a service name.
Note that it is hard to debug something we don't see.
So ALWAYS copy and paste (in text mode and inline not as attachment) what you do.

Quote:
But when I tried to connect as sys I received ORA-12514 error.

So you think I know ALL the error numbers by heart? ALWAYS copy and paste the complete error message (or better the complete SQL*Plus session).
Were your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environment variables correctly set?

Quote:
Finally I am sorry I didn't understand what do you mean by the "Which is a local access via the agent"?

YOU do not start the database, the db console does it for you and the db console runs on the same server than the instance/database.
"agent" or "proxy agent" is a generic term to indicate a process that runs locally to the objects it has to observe or act on sending or receiving orders from a remote point.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2010 13:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476536 is a reply to message #476152] Thu, 23 September 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unonumeric
Quote:
So you think I know ALL the error numbers by heart? ALWAYS copy and paste the complete error message (or better the complete SQL*Plus session).
Were your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environment variables correctly set?

Greetings
Thanks Michel, I have resolved the issue. Yes, ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environment are correctly set. Furthermore, I didn't copy and paste the complete error message to save on space and thinking that you can easily lookup the error code interpretation on net. Nevertheless in future I'll do so. BTW Jumping from error to error, I remember quite a few (error) numbers Smile
Also I just realized that we have, all the time discussed, why we should not do it (Start/Stop DB from client machine) and other issues, but what I wish to know if there is a way to START/STOP the DB from client machine via CLI, without using EM.

Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476540 is a reply to message #476536] Thu, 23 September 2010 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
that you can easily lookup the error code interpretation on net.

Yes, I can but should I waste time for something you can easily post instead of spending this time to search for solution that helps people? You are not limited in number of words you can post.

Quote:
what I wish to know if there is a way to START/STOP the DB from client machine via CLI, without using EM.

There are... if your configuration is badly done and let security hole.
For instance, you can give domain administrator privilege to someone that can remotely reboot the machine (or the equivalent at Oracle level something I will not post as I refuse to post bad solution).

Regards
Michel
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #476541 is a reply to message #476536] Thu, 23 September 2010 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
unonumeric wrote on Thu, 23 September 2010 15:47

Thanks Michel, I have resolved the issue.

Wait, did I miss it? What was the resolution other than you did it through EM? I'd like to know why logging onto the server directly did not work.
Re: SHUTDOWN and STARTUP [message #479682 is a reply to message #476541] Mon, 18 October 2010 12:37 Go to previous message
unonumeric
Sorry Joy
My Apologies for delayed response. Logging onto the server was not working earlier coz I was shutting down the DB from client machine and then was trying to start it from server. When I logged directly onto server, I could shutdown and restart DB without any hitch.
Regards
Previous Topic: ERROR
Next Topic: How commit and rollback behave
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:38:53 CDT 2024