Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle DB Scalability (Oracle 11g)
Oracle DB Scalability [message #470405] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:09 Go to next message
prax_14
Dear Friends,

Off late few of our customers data have grown and started facing performance issue, we are also plaining for new features in our future release, where the database could grow to 150 billion records on some tables.

Please pour in your thoughts and suggestions for the following questions.

1) Will Oracle support having such a huge database and be scalable.

2) Will implementing some or all of the following items help.

a)Adding More Memory to the servers and increasing the SGA
    b)Adding More storage space, better processor
    c)Implementing Oracle RAC.
    d)De-normalizing on some area's for performance.
    e)Partitioning tables.
    f)Using in memory cache features.

Please mention any other ways which will help and not mentioned in the above list.

I understand apart from all the above mentioned a proper database design is the platform to handle such a big database.

Any inputs and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Prakash R
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470408 is a reply to message #470405] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>1) Will Oracle support having such a huge database and be scalable.
Yes

>2) Will implementing some or all of the following items help.
>
>
> a)Adding More Memory to the servers and increasing the SGA
it depends
> b)Adding More storage space, better processor
it depends
> c)Implementing Oracle RAC.
it depends
> d)De-normalizing on some area's for performance.
it depends
> e)Partitioning tables.
it depends
> f)Using in memory cache features.
it depends

Which system resource (CPU, RAM, I/O, Network) is the bottleneck?
If you do not know specifically what is wrong, you are just shooting in the dark hoping to get lucky with some (random?) change.
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470409 is a reply to message #470408] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prax_14
BlackSwan,

Thanks for your reply,What ever the numbers I have mention is just a estimate what our customers database could grow to in next few years. My question was, what are the things we need to put in to consideration to get ourself prepared to manage such a huge database in future.Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post.

Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470411 is a reply to message #470409] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Number of records is only very, very loosely related to performance.
DB with many records can perform well.
DB with 1000/10000 times fewer records can perform poorly.
I can not optimize DB performance based upon record count; which is only quantified metric you provided.
Perhaps others here can do better than I.
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470412 is a reply to message #470405] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>where the database could grow to 150 billion records on some tables.
>>1) Will Oracle support having such a huge database and be scalable.
Sure. Atleast it is what Oracle claims. Nothing to prove false so far.
I am already having 40-60~Billion record tables and growing consistently without any major issues.

>>b)Adding More storage space, better processor
Definitely. To be precise, the kind of storage(SAN/Optical/cache configurations) play a major role.
>>e)Partitioning tables.
For databases of this size, I cannot live without partitioning, in most cases.
>>c)Implementing Oracle RAC.
May or may not be useful.
RAC provides protection from a single-node failure. If database fails, you still have to deal with it.
RAC will serve its purpose for a high transactional environment. Not essentially for a high data volume environment.
RAC + DataGuard would be an optimal solution.

IMO, the real problem with these kind of environments are backup and recovery strategies.
How are you going to deal with that? What kind of SLA's are you subject to?
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470430 is a reply to message #470405] Mon, 09 August 2010 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prax_14
BlackSwan/Mahesh,

Thanks for you replies.

Let me give a brief about the product I work on , Its not OLTP, Its all few windows services and some front end GUI which interface with the database.

SLA's is our support ppl are responsible for taking backup. Currently we have customers with 2 to 10 million record tables and the current back plan they have is working so far.

I definitely agree with the future estimate of database growing in billion they we will also have to come up with a solution for that. Any suggestions?

Can you also please help me understand on the following.

1) If using RAC is the not the right solution , how will RAC with Data Guard help? Is it because we can avoid backups as we will have a standby database with data guard?

2) Is there any other parameters we need to consider for designing a huge database like this.

For Example:
a) Switching to 64 bit Operating system
b) Switching the servers to Oracle recommended Solaris OS.

Any inputs is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470439 is a reply to message #470430] Mon, 09 August 2010 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>1) If using RAC is the not the right solution , how will RAC with Data Guard help? Is it because we can avoid backups as we will have a standby database with data guard?

First, we never told RAC is not the right solution.
We said, RAC is meant for high volume transactions.
Say, your database needs to handle hundreds/thousands of transactions every second.
With RAC, you can mount the same DB in multiple nodes and enable load balancing.
If one node goes down, others will be still up and available.
If Database goes down, RAC is no use. You need a DataGuard like environment
where you can just failover.
So what I meant is, if your DB is critical enough for a RAC, use RAC and DataGuard.

>>Its not OLTP
Now you are using right buzzwords.
You still need to define whether it is a warehouse/hybrid/does ETL etc.
Look up the Oracle datawarehousing guide for a generic idea.

>>2) Is there any other parameters we need to consider for designing a huge database like this.
As BlackSwan already said,
huge/small means nothing to Oracle. If there a setting to be enabled for a DB of size more than xx Tb/Gb,
Oracle could have made it default.
It really depends on how you use the database.
Quote:

For Example:

what is the question here?
Are you worried about cross-platform migration?
I have used RMAN to migrate TB sized databases between different OS.
Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470810 is a reply to message #470405] Tue, 10 August 2010 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prax_14
Mahesh,

Thank you very much for your replies, It was really helpful and I really appreciate it.

>>You still need to define whether it is a warehouse/hybrid/does ETL etc.

Yes It is a Hybrid Type.

Regarding My question "Is there any other parameters we need to consider for designing a huge database like this. "

What I meant was, is there any other design practices or Oracle feature that we need to consider for implementing a huge database like this.

Regarding the question

I saw some articles mention there is a limitation on the size of SGA (1.7GB) on a 32 bit operation systems, I was trying to get your opinion ,if it will be a good decision to switch to 62 bit OS to accommodate larger SGA for huge databases.

Thank you.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2010 19:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle DB Scalability [message #470861 is a reply to message #470810] Wed, 11 August 2010 03:42 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
prax_14 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 01:36
Yes It is a Hybrid Type.

Regarding My question "Is there any other parameters we need to consider for designing a huge database like this. "

What I meant was, is there any other design practices or Oracle feature that we need to consider for implementing a huge database like this.

Not enough detail to comment, hybrid can mean all sorts of things.

Answers to these questions might help:
1) How many users
2) How many transactions per second/minute/hour
3) How much data is modified by the average transaction.
Previous Topic: Connect 500+ client to romote oracle server
Next Topic: About online Redo log file (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 21:58:17 CDT 2024