Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » What type of disk do you use? (10.2.0.4 / Sparc / Solaris)
What type of disk do you use? [message #459550] Mon, 07 June 2010 00:01 Go to next message
rleishman
In this thread I've been seeking help to benchmark Nested Loops joins.

One comment from @coleing was that placing Oracle data files on NFS mounts was a sub-optimal solution.

I'm a developer, not an infrastructure/network engineer, so am ignorant of this stuff. What are the options?

- Mounting the disk directly on the box might be tricky because the server has limited disk slots.
- So if it is going to be non-resident disk, what are the alternatives to NFS? I've heard of SAN, but have also heard that it can be prohibitively expensive.

What do you guys use for your multi-terabyte DBs?

Ross Leishman
Re: What type of disk do you use? [message #459584 is a reply to message #459550] Mon, 07 June 2010 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
From my experience the "NFS no-no" was definitely true in the days of slower networks, where Ethernet was still mostly 100Mbit but Fibre channel SANs were already on Gigabit or even 10Gb.

These days a lot of SANs use iSCSI anyway, so there is not *much* difference any more performance-wise between a "real" SAN and NFS.

Here is a paper with a comparison, including performance benchmarks, "5.2 TPCC and TPCH Results" seem to be the most relevant to databases.

We have a few of our "smaller" databases running with NFS storage, and from what I see there is not much difference between a 1Gb connected SAN and a mounted NFS partition with a dedicated 1Gb network link. So far we only had performance problems when something else was hammering the NFS server or the network.
Re: What type of disk do you use? [message #459587 is a reply to message #459584] Mon, 07 June 2010 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
All the multi-terabyte databases I've worked on in the past have been configured in a SAN environment. Ultimately, I believe you'll find this to be the case for most of Oracle's multi-terabyte systems. Oracle has even configured Oracle Exadata with this implementation.

That being said, Oracle has been making improvements with Oracle and NFS. NFS definitely has it's inherit problems, however 11g has seemed to address some of those with it's Oracle Direct Network File System Client (additional info Direct NFS Client).

A helpful whitepaper is Optimizing and Protecting Storage with Oracle Database 11g Release 2. In addition, you can find a ton of information about Oracle storage options at Kevin Closson's site.
Re: What type of disk do you use? [message #460152 is a reply to message #459587] Wed, 09 June 2010 22:23 Go to previous message
rleishman
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Previous Topic: shared server mode
Next Topic: Database down often
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 21:38:52 CDT 2024