Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance (Oracle Enterprise Edition 11g and 9i, Windows 2003 and 2000)
What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447732] Wed, 17 March 2010 11:20 Go to next message
dacodes
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and hope that someone can help me with a rather frustruation issue.

We are discussing licenses with our Oracle Sales Rep and he have asked for a light review of our environment since he is uncertain about our usage. I'm absolutely sure that our Oracle based application isn't in need of any Enterprise Edition Options but at I wouldn't swear that our application provider didn't try or in mistake use one or several option. Our application provider have a lot of programmers who like to try new cool stuff...

Since Oracle License people isn't that very forgiving if we are none compliant, it would be nice for me to know what options (if any) are in use. If possible it would be nice to know CPU High-water, etc. information that also will affect the licensing.

I have looked at:
Flexerasoftware - FlexNet Manager for Oracle
Lime-software - Lime Licence Manager

But these companies are quite hard to get hold of and their software probably isn't totally free Wink

We have also run the SQL-scripts provided by Oracle in which we can se parts of this, but there is loooots and loooots of information in the script outputs, why a short table showing options in use would simplify my life.

Hope you got a good understanding of my issue and that someone have been in contact with the License review people at Oracle, and can give me some advice in this matter, and hopefully can point me to a script or application that can help me out.

We use 2 databases at the moment:
Windows Server 2003 R2 Sp2, Oracle 11g
Windows Server 2000 Sp4, Oracle 9i

Thank you!

//Stefan
Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447734 is a reply to message #447732] Wed, 17 March 2010 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
it would be nice for me to know what options (if any) are in use.

SQL> desc dba_feature_usage_statistics
 Name                             Null?    Type
 -------------------------------- -------- ----------------------
 DBID                             NOT NULL NUMBER
 NAME                             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(64)
 VERSION                          NOT NULL VARCHAR2(17)
 DETECTED_USAGES                  NOT NULL NUMBER
 TOTAL_SAMPLES                    NOT NULL NUMBER
 CURRENTLY_USED                            VARCHAR2(5 CHAR)
 FIRST_USAGE_DATE                          DATE
 LAST_USAGE_DATE                           DATE
 AUX_COUNT                                 NUMBER
 FEATURE_INFO                              CLOB
 LAST_SAMPLE_DATE                          DATE
 LAST_SAMPLE_PERIOD                        NUMBER
 SAMPLE_INTERVAL                           NUMBER
 DESCRIPTION                               VARCHAR2(128)
To know what is the different edition see Compatibility matrices and differences between editions.

Regards
Michel
Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447736 is a reply to message #447734] Wed, 17 March 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dacodes
Hi Michel!

Thanks for you very fast response!

I have looked at this and that is also one of the scrip outputs from Oracle review scripts, but:

1. This view isn't available in 9i
2. In 11g the output isn't clear about which licensed option they might affect. For example are "Partitioning (user)" and "Partitioning (system)" both in there, which one is affecting the Enterprise option "Partitioning" if anyone?

Or is it me that doesn't understand i all Embarassed ?

//Stefan
Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447737 is a reply to message #447736] Wed, 17 March 2010 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"Partitioning (system)" means Oracle uses partitioning, it is automatic when you have EE and so you installed EE.
"Partitioning (user)" means YOU use partitioning for your tables and so you have to purchase Partitioning option (which is not the case for "partitioning (system)").

Right it is not available in 9i but unless you want to buy the very expensive extended support you can skip them and do not care about support (my opinion).
Otherwise you can launch OUI on every Oracle Home and see what options have been installed (maybe, surely, you can get it from the numerous xml files in OraInventory directory).

For the different options, read the link I provided.

Regards
Michel

Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447738 is a reply to message #447737] Wed, 17 March 2010 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dacodes
Hi Michel!

Thanks again!

9i:
I'll have a look in the OraInventory and will get back to you / the forum with my findings.
Haven't had time to do this yet.

11g:
I have now looked through DBA_FEATURE output from the auditing scripts (attached) and to me it looks like we don't use any options. Allthough partitioning is TRUE it is only SYS, SYSTEM, MDSYS generated rows returned and therefor partitioning is NOT in use according to Oracle. This is also the reason why a 3:rd party license-audition-application would be nice to giving a definite answer to what options really are in use.

Do you agree that we don't use any options (given my explination regarding partitioning is OK)?

Thanks again!

Regards!

//Stefan

[Updated on: Wed, 17 March 2010 18:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #447968 is a reply to message #447732] Thu, 18 March 2010 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dacodes
Hi again!

I have looked a bit more and found out that in many cases options are reported as TRUE (for example in dba_feature_usage_statistics), making you think "Ohh nooo", but they are infact installed but not IN USE (like in partitioning). And I think the reason for this beeing reported as TRUE is in some cases because a sample database have been installed.

This is still a bit confusing but the only option I am unsure about for now is the "Data Guard" in 9i, I can't find anything that uses it and my developers say they haven't used it.

Two remaining questions:
1. Does anyone know how I can see if Data Guard is "in use" in 9i.
2. A script or 3rd party application to se if an Oracle installation is compliant is still of interest.

Thanks!

//Stefan
Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #448132 is a reply to message #447968] Fri, 19 March 2010 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dacodes
Hi again!

Seem like I'm replying my self Wink

1. According to the document "Overview of Oracle 9i Products and Licensing Options" there is no option called Data Guard for Enterprise Edition 9i (perhaps this wasn't an option at that time?).

2. I think the two applications mentioned in my earlier post are the best there is for Oracle Licensing Monitoring.

If I find anything else I'll reply again, until then thank you Michel for your initial respons!

regards!

//Stefan
Re: What Oracle EE options are in use - License compliance [message #448135 is a reply to message #448132] Fri, 19 March 2010 13:08 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Why cant the SYSTEM tablespace extend?
Next Topic: Open ref Cursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 03:31:26 CDT 2024