Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Timeout on Control File Enqueue error
Timeout on Control File Enqueue error [message #365464] Tue, 23 June 1998 08:19 Go to next message
David Calobrisi
My database has crashed the past two nights on an
ORA-0600: internal error code, arguments: 2103, 900
error. The alert log points to the archive log process trace file. When I look at the trace file it has a:
"TIMEOUT ON CONTROL FILE ENQUEUE" error. Has anyone seen this before and do you know what I can do to fix
it?
Re: Timeout on Control File Enqueue error [message #365475 is a reply to message #365464] Sat, 27 June 1998 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dennis
I have seen this error before and am currently working with Oracle Support on this issue. I am using rman to backup my Oracale8 databases. It seems that when rman goes to make a backup of the control file it holds an enqueue lock on the control file. The only way I was able to release the lock was to bounce the catalog and development database. If I get a better workaround or info from Oracle Support I will respond back.
Re: Timeout on Control File Enqueue error [message #365490 is a reply to message #365475] Wed, 01 July 1998 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Calobrisi
I have been talking to Oracle support about this also. I sent them the trace files generated when the database crashed and they told me that one of my files (it happened to be my temporary tablespace file) was being held and the checkpoint process was wating on it (doing a db sequential read wait). Also, a couple of other processes were waiting on this same file for direct access I/O. After 15 minutes, the database crashes. The support person told me that it could be a hardware issue - a problem with the device or a controller. She said it also could have hit an OS limit, such as max # open files or max # of processes. Also told me to set the use_ism parm to FALSE rather than the default of TRUE (this is a Solaris only parameter, telling Oracle to use Solaris' Intimate Shared Memory feature). I'm checking with Sun before I do that though. I also tuned some code I saw running during both crashes. We haven't seen any problems since so I'm hoping it was simply an abberation. Let you know if I find anything more.
Re: Timeout on Control File Enqueue error [message #365627 is a reply to message #365490] Sat, 24 April 1999 14:01 Go to previous message
Amjad Daoud
This is an undocumented system parameter in Oracle 7.3 code. it defaults to 900 seconds (15 minutes). You could set it higher if your hardware is not supporting the load or you could tune the database such that control file updates (i.e. on checkpointing) is within the timeout parameter you choose.

-Amjad Daoud
Former Oracle Server Technologies Employee
amjad@oracle8expert.com
http://www.orascape.com

Previous Topic: Re: how to email using pl/sql
Next Topic: Re: Insert into table...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:24:28 CDT 2024