Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Extension of datafile in ASM (11g, 11.2.0.3, solaris10)
Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612341] Wed, 16 April 2014 04:51 Go to next message
ashishkumarmahanta80
Dear All,

Datafiles are stored in ASM. So datafiles are having its own nomenclatures. Bi-mistake, one of the datafile is created on the same path as mentioned below -
create bigfile tablespace bi datafile 'E:\APP\ADMINISTRATOR\ORADATA\TREGTST1\bi01.dbf' size 100m autoextend on next 12M extent management local segment space management auto;

Now, my concerned is, whether there will be any impact on this datafiles? Will it use the benefit of ASM (like - mirroring,etc)

Waiting for your kind response...

Regards,
Ashish
Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612349 is a reply to message #612341] Wed, 16 April 2014 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It is not in ASM so it will not benefit of anything from ASM.

Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612374 is a reply to message #612349] Thu, 17 April 2014 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vslabs
Not a good idea to mix datafiles of a database across local cooked filesystems and ASM.

It negates a lot of the advantages of ASM by having a local file on a cooked filesystem as a datafile - like striping, like redundancy, like ability to perform storage management without database downtime, etc.

That local file must be removed from the database asap.

And the DBA(s) need to realise that managing tablespaces means NOT specifying a filename - and instead using db_create_file_dest as target for Oracle to create an OFA compliant directory structure and filename.
Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612375 is a reply to message #612374] Thu, 17 April 2014 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishkumarmahanta80
Dear @all,

Apologize !!!

Tablespace is created on the below path but name is "bi01.dbf".
create bigfile tablespace bi datafile '+DATADG1/lvgiprod/datafile/hlthchk01.dbf/bi01.dbf' size 100m autoextend on next 12M extent management local segment space management auto;

On ASM, script should be like this
create bigfile tablespace bi;

Now, whether created tablespace will be benefited by ASM? Though, File name is by OMF

Regards,
Ashish Kumar Mahanta

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2014 03:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612377 is a reply to message #612375] Thu, 17 April 2014 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Yes it will. Properties of ASM are on the diskgroups not on the files.

Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612378 is a reply to message #612377] Thu, 17 April 2014 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishkumarmahanta80
Thank you Michel !!!
Re: Extension of datafile in ASM [message #612389 is a reply to message #612374] Thu, 17 April 2014 07:46 Go to previous message
EdStevens
vslabs wrote on Thu, 17 April 2014 03:03
Not a good idea to mix datafiles of a database across local cooked filesystems and ASM.

It negates a lot of the advantages of ASM by having a local file on a cooked filesystem as a datafile - like striping, like redundancy, like ability to perform storage management without database downtime, etc.

That local file must be removed from the database asap.

And the DBA(s) need to realise that managing tablespaces means NOT specifying a filename - and instead using db_create_file_dest as target for Oracle to create an OFA compliant directory structure and filename.

True, not having the file under ASM negates the advantages of ASM --- for that particular file.
But it does not follow that "file must be removed from the database asap". Oracle is perfectly happy to use that file. Yes, I'd recommend getting it moved, but the urgency implied by "asap" is misplaced.

In fact, I was recently out for several weeks of medical leave and in my absence my backfill created a data file on the FS instead of ASM. They ran like that for over a month before I was able to take any "corrective" action.
Previous Topic: ORACLE_HOME
Next Topic: what pririvlege is requried to create lob table ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:58:11 CDT 2024